You have just accepted an offer on your house and, after weeks of cleaning, staging, and scheduling showings, you’re ready to get packing and get out of there! The hard part is over, right? Well, not necessarily. With an inspection and appraisal to plan for, the road to closing day can be a long one. If you prepare for your upcoming inspection with these simple “Dos and Don’ts” from your friends at America’s Choice Inspections, the inspection process will be smoother and less stressful.
- Clean Your House. Your home inspector should not have to trip over your shoes as he or she walks in the door, or search under a pile of dishes to inspect the sink and plumbing. Like potential buyers, the first impression of your home to the inspector matters as well. If your house is messy and cluttered, the home inspector could assume that it’s not cared for and thus could affect his/her report.
- Clean Up the Exterior. Just like the inside of your house, you want to keep the exterior of your home clean and well-cared for. Trim bushes, mow the lawn, and clear all sidewalks.
- Turn On All Utilities. You need to be sure that all utilities are on even if you have already moved out of the house. The inspector will need to check all appliances, including the furnace and air conditioner, so he will need access to electricity, water, and gas. If these are not in working order, the inspection will need to be rescheduled and closing could be delayed.
- Leave Obvious Issues Unfixed. Don’t waste the home inspector’s and homebuyer’s time by leaving issues unfixed if you already know about them. This will make the inspection report longer, and will make the homebuyer more nervous. If you know of an issue, fix it before the inspection to ensure a smooth closing.
- Forget to Put Safety First. Before your inspection, don’t let the safety and security of your home fall by the wayside. Make sure all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order, and scrub your chimney ahead of time.
The home inspection process can be overwhelming, but don’t let it get you down. Call America’s Choice Inspections at (704) 504-9798 today or schedule an appointment online. All of our home inspectors are licensed and insured professionals with years of training and on-site experience serving Charlotte, NC, and the surrounding areas.